Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Definition of Street Photography


I am voracious learner, and when I want to learn something new I dive right into studying it.  Street photography was a little different though.  It seemed unlike all other forms of photography as there didn't seem to lots of books floating around describing it; it felt almost underground.

This lack of initial information didn't stop me, I was determined to understand what street photography was, and first I wanted a definition.  To find this I turned to already established street photographers to understand their definition of street photography. 

The first photographer I came across was a street photographer out of LA named Eric Kim.  His website Eric Kim Street Photography became an outstanding resource for me while I was starting out.

The first definition of street photography I came across was his.  Although, it was the first one I read, I found it to be extremely poetic and inspiring. 

"Beauty in the Mundane"

The genre of photography that I take part of can best be described as “street photography”. Street Photography emphasizes the “beauty in the mundane” by showcasing little snippets of every-day life. However as life is often unexpected and “Kodak moments” often fly before a person’s eyes, the street photographer must be skilled, brave, and disciplined enough to capture certain “decisive moments” that can only be caught once in a lifetime.

Real life is unscripted, and the street photographer doesn’t have the convenience of setting up all the variables in his image. Therefore whenever you look at an image from a street photographer, know that the image you are looking at is one-of-a-kind. Look for the story.

Life is the stage and the people in it are the actors. Now enjoy the play.
~Source: Eric Kim - Eric Kim Street Photography
Reading his definition was like a light went off, I was inspired.  Capurturing beautiful stories in everyday life that are once in a lifetime oppurtunites was like a calling to me; it was what I was missing in my photography from before.  I realized after reading this piece that street photography was the genre that housed the true soul of a great image and I wanted to be part of creating that.

6 comments:

melissa said...

Great inspiration Aaron...and vocation...you're doing great at it...I really have to take time to look at what you see out there everyday...

Padmavani said...

Good post! A good starting point for somebody interested in street photography.
Padmavani

pamanner said...

Love the BW photos! Such a cool dimension!

JIM said...

Your making me start thinking of street and B&W I haven't really done much with either lately. Might start dabbling lol!! Great definition!!! You must be really feeling better , it is great to see..stay strong!!!



http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/08/photographing-charging-grizzly.html

tbaoo said...

your work inspires me to get outside and take photographs, quickly :)

p.s. could you do me (and probably many others), a favour and change your comments to the pop up option .. it makes it so much easier to comment cheery cheers alan

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Aaron - you have found your niche! Your photos always inspire me but especially love your street work.

Get Updates Delivered Direct

Subscribe to The RSS Feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner