Thursday, August 18, 2011

Street Photography for Beginners: The Golden Rule

Street photography is becoming a lot more of a mainstream form of photography these days.  As such, many more photographers are attempting to try their hand at it.  Often though, as with many forms of photography, your images just don't have the pop that other street photographers have.  Beginner street photographers can find this frustrating because they just don't understand why their images aren't working, it is just photographs of random people on the street right?


Well actually street photography can be a difficult discipline to master.  There are a lot of elements that make up a great street photograph, and the street photographer only has a fraction of a second to combine all these elements to create their piece of art.

This realization can be very frustrating and cause many photographers to abandon their quest of becoming a street photographer.    Don't give up if this is the case, you just need to work on your craft more to improve your street photographs.

Now I am far from being an expert on street photography, as I am fairly new to it myself so I can only speak from my experiences of how I learnt to improve my street photography skills. 

I believe in taking a much different approach to improving your street photography than most. 

My Golden rule if you are starting out in street photography is:
DON'T SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY

I am not saying don't shoot street photography ever, but at the beginning your focus should be placed elsewhere in order to improve your street photography skills. 

At the beginning you should be practicing specific skills that will pay dividends later, so for the time being, ignore your urges and follow the golden rule; Don't Shoot Street Photography!

In my next post, we will look at the first skill required if you want to master street photography.

4 comments:

Artyjax said...

You are quite wise Aaron too many people try to hard! People seem to forget that nothing changes when you put a camera to your eye, what is beautiful without a camera is usually beautiful as an photo! I find just sitting people watching and deciding what constitutes a scene helps before you even contemplate adding a camera into the situation. Jaqui x

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Excellent Can't wait to see your next post.

melissa said...

Did anybody listen to that? I guess that's one of the most basic golden rule and yet we do like taking street photos without knowing what it is.

Hmm...let me read it again :P

Mohibullah Mamun said...

Thanks for those great ideas. I have a photography blog where I explained about Sunny 16 Rule.

http://trickytechtunes.blogspot.com/2015/11/sunny-16-rule-photography-without-light.html

I think this will be helpful for the readers.

Get Updates Delivered Direct

Subscribe to The RSS Feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner