Tuesday, August 16, 2011

streetogrOFFY - "Shadow Riding"


There can be a big difference between shooting street photography in a big metropolis like Toronto versus the small village I live in.  The major difference is just that lack of people here, which forces you to look much harder for great photo oppurtunities.

One of the ways I have adapted to this is late afternoon shooting when here in Port Credit.  This has two benefits.  First, the seems to many more people around in the later afternoon which greatly increases my chance of finding a shot I like.  But the most important reason is the shadows.  In late afternoon the sun is getting lower in the sky and large shadows are starting to play along the ground.

As a photographer you can take advantage of this to really improve you pictures.  Yesterdays photo and today's photo are pefect examples of where I have let the shadows become much more than just a back ground element in my photo.

5 comments:

Joy Page Manuel said...

Another great one Aaron!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I love the shadows that can be created in street photography. They add such depth and interest to the image.

Aaron said...

thanks joy! Mari shadows really are such a powerful creative tool in street photography (well really all forms of photography)

I love using them when I can and plan my outings when they are at their sharpest :)

FastFred said...

Excellent use of light and shadow for framing. Well done!

melissa said...

I definitely agree, when it comes to art, nothing is a waste... you could always use those shadows even to create stories...

Get Updates Delivered Direct

Subscribe to The RSS Feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner